- Jab-cross-double lead kick
- Jab-cross-lead kick-rear kick
- Jab-cross-rear kick-lead kick
- Jab-cross-double rear kick
- Stop the biceps of the overhook, arm wrench the underhook, throw an elbow to their head, catch the neck knee, guillotine
- Knee, lift their leg, penetrate step and ipsilateral inside sweep, groin shot
- Catch wrist (or redirect with pummeling hand) and pass to arm drag, step to the back while passing their arm further to the a “seatbelt” (contralateral wrist control from behind, ipsilateral control at the elbow). Step between their legs with your leg on the wrist control side and drop to your knee, dragging your opponent laterally to the mat.
- Block their overhook, drive up with your underhook, step off 45°, lower your level and run them down with the double leg
Guard work against the posturing opponent
- Your opponent postures with one hand wrapping your lapels at your solar plexus, you can break their grip by pulling your gi laterally like your flashing your opponent.
- You can cross collar over their grip and then gi drag when they try to stand.
- You can get a cross collar over their grip, make it deeper by propping on your free elbow, then sit back pulling them forward. Cross grip their posture arm sleeve. Prepare for the arm bar by placing the foot in the hip, if they lean forward to close the line, put your knee over their shoulder and triangle. Push way with your legs to set-up the armor.
- Right forehand-backhand, left forehand-backhand, right forehand-low backhand-forehand, left forehand-low backhand-forehand
- Right forehand-backhand, left forehand-backhand, right forehand-low backhand-forehand, left forehand-low backhand-forehand, right over under post-right forehand-left backhand-right back hand, left over under post-left forehand-right backhand-left backhand
Gi Arm Drag
- Cross collar grip, place freehand on mat, use your ipsilateral leg to move hips offline and pull opponent to the mat. Seatbelt grip and pull them to the rear mount.
- Your opponent grabs your pant leg ipsilateral to your cross collar grip. Place your palm on their wrist and underhook grip their biceps with the opposite (former collar grip hand), while shifting offline, pull their arm.
- Again your opponent grabs the pant legipsilateral to your cross collar grip. Use your ipsilateral hand to grab the superior line of the triceps and pull both at the collar and at the arm.
If your opponents arm doesn’t drag past you but stays across your body, frame and go for oma plata.
From the cross collar and sleeve grip, place your feet in their hips, push back for them to pressure forward. Lift your opponent in the air at the hips with your feet.
- Lift them over the same side shoulder you have sleeve and wrist control. Roll with them to take the mount.
- Drop the leg that has sleeve control laterally, allowing them to rotate into the armbar position.
Today I made an appearance at Goshin Jitsu. I hope to make many more. With the beginners we taught basic footwork, forwards, backwards, to the sides, and the rear 90° pivot. The two stepping drills we worked on:
- Shuffle retreat, switch retreat, 90° pivot
- Circling the mat using any step less than three times in a row, avoiding the blue pads, and trying to catch our team mates
We also introduced kicking, helping each other stretch and turn on the ball of the foot.
With the advanced students, I reviewed the jab range finder I learned at Top Level Gym. This strategy prunes your opponent’s decision tree by throwing the jab, followed by two “range finds” extending the arm and using the palm of the glove to make contact, you step laterally to set-up an outside line. This gives you information, if you cannot reach they are out of range, if you can just reach they can likely be hit by a kick or cross, and if your arm is bent it is likely best to throw a short cross or round knee. If you check their arm and it’s loose you know that it is likely you can push it aside to set up your shot and if they are rigid that they will be more easy to turn.
We did four 2-minute rounds:
- Jab-range find-range find cross
- Jab-range find-range find rear kick
- Jab-range find-range find rear round knee
- Any of the above with the holder feeding different energies.